Berkley Fishing has brought out one of its most innovative and unique hard baits this week with the new Berkley Krej. Baitfish are often pushed to the surface by predators as they try to flee. This new revolutionary hard bait design is made to mimic the natural upward fleeing reaction. This action is in contrast to conventional jerkbait fishing methods, the unique upturned bill of the Berkley Krej (“Jerk” spelled backwards) allows anglers to work the Krej upwards through the water column. Once let to sink, the bait starts to fall backwards towards whatever predator was chasing the bait. This is joined with a shimmying action given to the bait by weights specifically placed for a low center of gravity. This is one of the three new baits purposefully designed by Berkley Labs to excel when used with forward-facing sonar. This new style of fishing allows anglers to take advantage of seeing in real time how a fish reacts to a bait as it is worked near it. Letting anglers better imitate the fleeing action of minnows when being chased or letting the Krej back down towards the predator to trigger a reaction strike.
Berkley Fishing Coverage on AllOutdoor
“The Krej is a bait that performs like no other hard bait, especially when paired with forward-facing sonar,” said Berkley’s Senior Project Engineer of Bait and Terminal Tackle, Dan Spengler. “It’s a bait that took over two years to develop, integrating key bait fish movements and predator-induced prey reactions like darting, erratic motion behavior, and changes in motion. Whether it’s on the rise or fall, the Krej is always in action. We implemented an upturned bill which allows this bait to conquer the water column in a way a standard jerkbait cannot, but yet it can do so much more than that. There are several ways to manipulate this bait to interact with fish and it gives anglers a solution to the current gaps when using forward-facing sonar.”
Berkley Krej Key Features
- Upturned bill delivers unique ascending & darting action when worked.
- Backward fall on pause (backslide) allows the angler to maintain presence in the strike zone longer and provides a triggering mechanism for reaction bites.
- A combination of ascending action and backslide on the fall maximizes angler control & time in the strike zone.
- Bait can be fished sub-surface or topwater to best imitate the natural progression of predator & prey.
- Optimized for use with forward-facing sonar
- Sinking (1 ft/sec)
- Size – 100mm
- Colors: Blue Vapor • Stealth Shad • Stealth Minnow • Wakasagi • Chrome • OG Blue • Table Rock • Hankie Pankie • Nebu • Stunna Shad
- MSRP: $14.99
- Available: Now